Archive for March, 2013

Update: Getting the Run Around

Here is an update to my latest post, Getting the Run Around.  I just came back from my OBGYN doctor.  I feel very strongly that I am my own best advocate and I truly believe after my conversations with my doctor today, he has my best interest in mind and will also strongly advocate that this c-section happens as planned.

So, here is the plan.  I go forward with the amniocentesis on Wednesday (a prerequisite to a cesarean before 39 weeks).  Somehow, my paperwork magically turned up and it turns out I am indeed all set and scheduled for the amniocentesis Wednesday morning, contrary to the original claim that I had no such procedure planned.  My doctor has informed me that due to the recent unprecedented amount of “inconclusive” results for fetal lung maturity, he will push for a second test to be performed that day if results are inconclusive.  If in fact, those results are also inconclusive, he will  continue to contact Peri-natologists until one will sign off on my c-section the following day.  If in fact he is met with further opposition, I will be called in to plead my case.

Believe me, I do understand that some elective c-sections are done too early, for convenience of the doctors or mother. I truly believe the scenario presented to me at this point is in response to the few that try for an early delivery for these reasons. However, that is not the norm. I am opting for an elective c-sections because of very valid emotional and physical reasons.  I am well-educated about my choices.  I have been under great prenatal care, and have been monitored solely by one doctor throughout my pregnancy.  I have a very good read on the dating of the baby due to an early dating ultrasound.  My doctor agrees and promotes my decision, and, furthermore, dictates that the baby is healthy and able to be born on the date we decided on.  There’s no reason that this hospital policy should trump my doctor’s ability to assess my physical and mental health, as well as the baby’s health, when he has been the one monitoring me for the last nine months.

And that, my friends, is my update.  Hopefully the next post will be about the safe and uncomplicated arrival of my baby boy!

Thanks for reading,

Lauren

Advertisements

Getting the run around….

In reading about other individual’s experiences with elective cesarean, I have counted myself lucky that the opposition from medical professionals that many mothers face in obtaining the right to choose this type of delivery is something I have only READ about.  Until now.  This past weekend, my OBGYN doctor called me with a heads up that “we may have a little problem with your planned c-section.”  My doctor, (who is a huge advocate for my planned elective cesarean that is supposed to take place in 3 days), has received an e-mail from the hospital I am set to deliver at asking him “why is she (meaning me) choosing this mode of delivery electively at 38 + weeks gestation?”  Furthermore, the hospital is claiming that the amniocentesis appointment that has been set for months for the day before the scheduled c-section is not set up. (even though I have paperwork confirming the appointment). The claim is that there is no appointment, therefore, no ability to process to lung development, therefore, no elective c-section.  In addition to these claims from the hospital, my OBGYN has informed me that many mothers going in for an elective c-section recently at this hospital have been faced with “inconclusive” findings during the amniocentesis, therefore, the elective c-sections for these mothers have been cancelled, resulting in a later rescheduling or more likely, the need for the mother to go into labor prior to having a c-section.

I find this completely unacceptable for the hospital to pull this little stunt 3 days prior to my planned c-section.  Not only do I believe that elective cesarean IS the better choice for delivery, I have medical indications that support my right to demand an elective cesarean section without trial of labor.  These indications include:

1.  Previous BOTCHED vaginal delivery in which I was in labor for over 30 hours, pushed for over 3, and delivered a sunny side up 8 pound 14 ounce baby girl with forceps.

2.  A third degree tear, dislocated hip, and severe postpartum hemorrhage immediately following delivery.

3.  Resulting Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with related Anxiety Disorder directly related to trial of labor and vaginal delivery.

4.  Resulting permanent damage to rectal sphincter and fecal incontinence directly related to trial of labor and vaginal delivery.

5.  The medtronic Interstim for fecal incontinence device that I have placed on my sacral nerve does not support the trials of labor and delivery, a c-section is indicated as a better mode for delivery.

6.  The current SPD, symphysis pubic dysfunction, that I am dealing with will only get worse with a trial of labor and delivery, a c-section is indicated as a better mode for delivery.

Because of all the above indicators, my anxiety level is through the roof just thinking about a trial of labor, that could possibly result in a vaginal delivery.  Also, the closer I get to my due date, the more likely my elective planned c-section will become a c-section that results after I go into labor, which is not an ideal situation for me, emotionally or physically.  I know with certainty that my OBGYN is on my side with this, and he is currently trying to sort the whole thing out with the hospital.  Later today, I have an appointment with my OBGYN doctor and I hope it brings good news.  It’s just a shame that I need to spend these next couple of days worrying over a choice that I should have the right to make without the hassle instead of mentally preparing myself for the joy of meeting my son via the certainty of a planned elective cesarean delivery.

Thanks for reading,

Lauren